The Citadel’s Square
The Square of the Citadel represents the meeting point of two large urban ways, one aligned on the north-south direction, the Church on the Hill being the most southern point, and one aligned on the east-west direction, connecting the Clock Tower and the Tailor’s Tower.
The houses around the citadel were inhabited by rich noblemen which were elected as mayors or magistrates. [read more…]
The School Street
Sighisoara’s structure follows the classic model of the medieval citadels. There is a longitudinal axis (the School Street) which connects the Citadel Square and the Church on the Hill, crossed by a transversal axis which connects the two main enter gates of the citadel (the Clock Tower and The Tailors’ Tower). The civil and commercial center of the community is at the crossroad of these two axes. [read more…]
The Covered Staircase
Known as the Staircase of the Scholars, it was made of pine wood in 1662, at the beginning having 300 steps. It was covered to protect the children on the way to the citadel’s school. After the modifications made in 1849 just 175 steps left. The staircase has a length of 30m (98 ft) and emits a mysterious atmosphere.