The Church on the Hill
Tuilt at an altitude of 429m (1407 ft) on top of School’s Hill, the church impresses through its massiveness and architecture. It is one of the largest churches of Transylvania and the most important religious monument of the town.
Built in Gothic style, the church defines itself through an excessive simplicity, both in the exterior and in the interior. [read more…]
The Dominican Church
The church, dedicated to the Holly Virgin, belonged to the Dominican Monastery demolished in 1886. The first documentary certification dates back since 1298, being mentioned by Pope Boniface the 8th in a clemency.
Initially they had erected a Gothic small church. Later, around 1483 the church was rebuilt, the naves being extended while the old edifice was replaced by a church, 44m (144 ft) long, 12.6m (41 ft) nave’s width and 5.7m (18.7 ft) altar’s width). [read more…]
The Roman-Catholic Church
Saint Joseph Roman-Catholic church, built in 1894 after demolishing the Franciscan nunnery, is located in the north-eastern part of citadel, right next to the wall. Built in an eclectic style by Letz, a local architect, the church suffered interior renovations after the fire since 1983. The actual organ is bought from a Saxon church located in the surroundings, Karl Einschenk being the one who made it in 1908.
The Reformed Church
Located on Gheorghe Lazar street, the church was built during the time of father Balas Imre (1888) helped by the leader of local committee of those times. The monument has neo-Romanesque and neo-Gothic architecture with a length of 18.9m (62 ft).
The Orthodox Cathedral
The Orthodox Cathedral, Dedicated to Holy Trinity, is located on the northern bank of Tarnava Mare River. It was built between 1934 and 1937 in neo-Romanian style. The construction, 45m (147 ft) long and with a facade 24m (78 ft) wide, has a tall belfry on the western part and a large dome. Anasasie Damian painted the church.
The Lepers’ Church
Located in the Lower Town, the church was a 15thcentury Gothic monument. Located at the foot of the citadel hill, it seems that initially here had been a parish church which later was fortified with a defense wall.
Beginning with 1507 here started to operate a lazaretto and in 1616 a school was opened, too.
As lepers were not allowed to enter the church, a pulpit was built for them on the western part. The pulpit was used last time in 1684 when its door was walled.
At the end of the 19th century, next to the church a rail track was built, connecting Brasov and Cluj Napoca; because of this, the church was demolished.
The Cornesti Church
The Orthodox Church from Cornesti was built in 1797 according to the inscription placed on the belfry. The church was consecrated in 1822 and it is dedicated to “God’s Mother entering the Church”.