The Palace of the National Bank was built between 1884 and 1890 following the plans of the architects Albert Galleron and Cassien Bernard. They were assisted by Grigore Cechez and Constantin Baicoianu. The palace is erected on the site of a previous famous inn built by Prince Serban Cantacuzino.
The main facade located toward Lipscani Street, built in an eclectic style, is marked by Ionic columns and four side niches representing statues of Agriculture, Industry, Commerce and Justice. They were done by the Romanian sculptors Ion Georgescu and Stefan Ionescu Valbudea. The roof, although quite large, is not an important characteristic of the edifice because of its height. It has 5 cupolas and they were inspired by the cupola of the Louvre Palace.
During the Great War the building was occupied between 1916 and 1918 by the German army.
As the years passed the responsibilities of the bank had extended more and more and new locations had to be found. In order to avoid the dispersing of the bank departments in differed locations scattered around Bucharest it was decided to expropriate the private property right next to the old palace of the bank.
The constructions of the new palace started in 1940 and they were almost finished by the next year. Due to the war the palace was finished completely only in 1950. The new palace, erected after the drawings of the architect Radu Dudescu, was built on 5 levels in a classical style characterized by a symmetry of the Corinthian columns.
Address: 25 Lipscani Street