Casa Monteoru was built in 1873-1874 for Alecu Niculescu. Later, the house was inherited by his brother who sold it in 1883 to Grigor C. Monteoru, an important landlord. The present Sarata Moneoru spa is created on his former estate.
The new owner hired two architects, Ion Mincu and Niculae Cutarida who modified radically the house in an Eclectic French style. It has stucco ceilings and wooden panels while the walls of the salons were covered with French silk, the furniture being made in Paris or Vienna.
The front yard exhibits 3 statues brought from Greece by Monetoru which represent women silhouettes.
After the Great War the house hosted for a while the Polish Legation and then remained in the property of Elena Monteoru, the daughter of the right owner and wife of Lascar Catargiu. In 1945 the Red Army incarcerated Elena Monteoru in the attic of the house and forced her to donate the house to the Romanian-Russian Organization. In 1949 it was nationalized by the communists. Today it is the headquarter of the Romanian Writers’ Union but its status is in balance since the descendents of the right owner are trying in the court to take back the edifice.
Address: 115 Victoriei Avenue