The edifice was built in two stages. The wing toward Victoria Avenue was built in 1860 while the other facade was added later. Constantin Dissescu had bought the house and then renovated it without damaging its structure.
The edifice draws the attention through its balanced proportions ant through the traditional elements of Romanian architecture. The building was conceived by the Romanian architect Grigore Cerchez and by the French one A.C. Clavel. The facade on the Victoria Avenue is characterized by a beautiful loggia which recalls the Brancoveanu style. The other main facade has an entrance marked by a carved arch upheld by twisted columns.
Today the building is used by the History of Art Institute.
Constantin Dissescu (1854-1932) was an important member of the Liberal Party, for a while of the Conservator one, who had graduated the Law School from Paris. He activated as professor for the universities of Bucharest and Iasi, being one of the specialists who wrote the 1923 Constitution. Is the author of the first Romanian constitutional law course and for a short period of time he was the minister of justice.
Address: 196 Victoria Avenue