The house was built in just two years between 1908 and 1910 by the architect Ioan Berindey. The owner of the house was Admiral Vasile Urseanu, hence the reason for the sea mythological figures represented on the facades of the building. The admiral was also the president of the first astronomic organization from Romania. That’s why the house was conceived as an astronomic observatory from the beginning.
Vasile Urseanu died in 1926, leaving the house to his wife who donated it in 1933, along with the entire art collection, to the city of Bucharest.
The observatory is open to the public even today. More than that, it still uses the original telescope bought in 1915.
Address: 21 Lascar Catargiu Blvd.
Link: The Observatory