The Manuc’s Inn offers even today the image of a local inn from the 19th century. Once, many of them were scattered all around the old town, today being replaced by monumental buildings such as the History Museum or the National Bank.
The founder, Manuc Marzian, better known as Manuc Bei, was born in Rusciuc, the present Bulgarian city Ruse. In 1808 he was appointed by the Ottomans as governor (bey) of Moldavia province. He became one of the richest persons and he knew to speak 12 languages.
In 1806 he arrived in Wallachia and because of the Turkish-Russian war he is forced to remain in Bucharest for a long period of time. He started the construction of the inn in the same year, the building being ready in 1808. The architecture was quite different from the rest of the inns because Manuc Bei didn’t want to build it like a fortified building, the usual type for many inns.
According to some deeds from the 19th century the inn had 15 arched cellars, 23 shops, two large salons, kitchens and a huge tunnel. The first floor had 107 guest rooms while the court was used as a cafe terrace which was cooled by a water fountain. Back then, Dambovita River was passing right by the front of the inn.
Manuc had died in 1817 while he was in search of a buyer for his inn. His son Murat inherited the building but he didn’t have money to repair it after the 1938 earthquake and he’s forced to sell it.
In 1861 the place is sold again to Lambru Vasilescu who repaired it and changed its name into the Grand Hotel de la Dacie. From this moment it became a center of different social events like balls, theater plays or music concerts.
The Manuc’s Inn witnessed important historical events. It is here the peace negotiation between Turks and Russians took place in 18012. Later it became a center of the unification movement between Moldavia and Wallachia, important politician debating here this issue.
The building was closed for renovations in 2007 when the right owner received back the edifice. Today it works as a terrace and restaurant.
Address: 62 Franceza Street