In 1865 the lot located on the site of the present hotel was bought by Jacques Herdan, a jeweler and businessman. The lot, back then located between the former buildings of the Sarindari Church and the Russian Legation, had been used by the Huttermann Circus.
The construction of the hotel started in 1867 being finished in 1871. The hotel, built after the drawings of the architect Alexandru Orascu, the first Romanian architect who became the chef architect of Bucharest, became the largest and the most modern hotel of the city. It had 82 rooms, 11 apartments, a French restaurant, a brasserie and reception halls. It was the first hotel of Bucharest which had running water in the rooms.
In 1873 it was sold to Lady Pohr who changed its name into Grand Hotel du Boulevard. In 1924 the Dutch Legation had its headquarter in some of the hotel’s rooms.
In 1948 it was nationalized by the communists. In 2004 the hotel was sold to a private company and is being renovating since then.
In 1906 the Romanian Automobile Club held one of its meetings in the hotel, electing as its president Prince George Valentin Bibescu, the owner of a car which had as license plate the number “0”.
The first traffic light was installed in 1929 in front of the hotel, right in the center of the crossroad between Victoriei Avenue and the present Queen Elisabeta Boulevard. It was controlled by a policeman. Later the traffic light was hung above the intersection, being controlled by a policeman who this time was standing on one of the sidewalks.
Address: 21 Elisabeta Boulevard