The Saint New George Church is located in the center of Bucharest, in the Saint George Square. Prince Antonie Popesti (1669-1672) started the constructions in 1699 which were continued by Prince Constantin Brancoveanu and finished in 1706. The architect, named Veseleil, took as model the church from Hurez.
The church, surrounded by an inn, patriarchal houses and cells, burned down in 1847. It was rebuilt following the plans of the architect Villacrosse. Built in the most authentic Romanian style, it has a cross plan and a beautiful porch upheld by 12 columns with floral capitals.
The graves of Constantin Brancoveanu family can be seen inside of the church. Prince Mavrocordat is also buried in this church. In the courtyard stands up a statue by Oscar Han representing the former Wallachian prince.
Prince Brancoveanu together with his 4 sons and one son-in-law were beheaded on August 15th 1714 by the Turks. His body had been thrown in the sea but it was taken out from water and buried in a monastery closed to Constantinople. His wife Maria took his body in secret and buried it in Bucharest in the church built by him. The tombstone had no name in order to protect the grave against the Turks. Just an engraved silver lamp placed above the tombstone mentioned the name of the buried person. Till 1914 nobody had knew where Prince Brancoveanu was buried.
The Schedule of the Saint George Church – New:
Daily: 08:00 – 20:00
Address: Ion C. Bratianu Blvd.