The church, built in 1698 by Mihail Cantacuzino on the site of a former wooden church, was surrounded by a wall, which had a gate tower, named Coltea Tower, demolished in 1888. As the highest building from its time, the tower was used as observation tower for the firemen.
Built in cross plan, the church is 27.5m long (90ft) and 11.95m (29ft) and combines the Brancoveanu style with the Byzantine one, both of them blending Italian Renaissance elements. Ten stone columns uphold the open porch, in rectangular shape. It is covered by reach architectural elements and the porch preserved a big part of the original fresco painted in 1871 by the famous Romanian artist Gheorghe Tattarescu. The western wall of the exonarthex is covered by the votive painting which represents the founder Mihail Cantacuzino and his wife Maria.
Located in the University Square the church was under a long renovation. Deu to that location, the church was in the center of the anticommunist demonstrations during the revolution from December 1989. Closed by the communists, it was opened for the first time on 21st December 1989, at nine o’clock in the morning. Religious services were held in the University Square where many people died.
Coltea Church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, remains through its architecture and decoration a valuable monument of the Bucharest.
The Schedule of the Coltea Church:
Daily: 08:00 – 20:00
Address: 1 Ion C. Bratianu Blvd.